Register for the webinar here.
This webinar will focus on the role of human rights defenders in creating sustainable, peaceful and just societies, in accordance with the Sustainable Development Goal 16. It will look at the role and support of the Norwegian government, Oslo Municipality, the University of Oslo and Norwegian civil society in the protection of individuals and organisations working for human rights and peaceful and just societies. How can these institutions collectively – and individually – meet the needs of the day, both during and after COVID-19?
13:00-13:10: Welcome by the Rector of the University of Oslo, Svein Stølen.
Welcome by the organizers: NHRF (Executive Director Sandra Petersen) and NCHR (Head of Department Gentian Zyberi).
13:10-14:25: Panel 1: The current situation of Human Rights Defenders and protection work.
• Asha Kowtal, Dalit Human Rights Defender, India
• Idil Eser, Former Director of Amnesty International Turkey
• Luciana Peri, Coordinator of Shelter Initiatives, ProtectDefenders.eu
• John Peder Egenæs, Director of Amnesty International Norway
Moderator: Nora Sveaass, Professor Emeritus (University of Oslo), member of the UN Subcommittee on Prevention of Torture (SPT) and member of NHRF’s Advisory Board.
14:25 – 14:45: BREAK.
14:45 – 16:00: Panel 2: The role of international, national and local support to Human Rights Defenders
Short video messages from human rights defenders from different countries with recommendations to Norwegian and international actors supporting human rights defenders.
Key note: Mary Lawlor, UN Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights Defenders (digital participation)
• Ine Eriksen Søreide, Norway's Minister of Foreign Affairs
• Marianne Borgen, Mayor of Oslo
• Mary Lawlor, UN Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights Defenders
Moderator: Sandra Petersen, Executive Director of the NHRF.
Concluding remarks by Kathrine Raadim, Director of the International Department, NCHR.