The event is hosted by the Norwegian Colombia Forum, in which the Norwegian Human Rights Fund is a member.
Get access to live translation Spanish-English, English-Spanish and the possibility of asking questions. Register for the webinar here.
The current political and social situation in Colombia is serious. After major mobilizations in November 2019, the country has experienced riots in the big cities, an increase in killings of social leaders and environment activists, illegal espionage of politicians in opposition and journalists, and military forces and the police are increasingly involved in serious human rights crimes. The country's historical social and economic challenges, exacerbated by the pandemic, an incorrect implementation of the 2016 peace agreement, and illegal economies related to drug trafficking and the extraction of natural resources are just some of the main reasons for the unpredictable situation in the country."Why does the conflict continue?" is the question that will guide us through the seventh version of "Together for Peace in Colombia", where we want to take a closer look at how civil society organizations in Colombia and internationally can continue their efforts for peacebuilding in this country.Colombia forum is pleased to invite you to the seventh conference “Together for Peace in Colombia”. The aim of the conference is to provide analysis and perspectives on the current situation of the peace process and to engage Norwegian civil society in further contributions on peacebuilding in Colombia.Follow the conference directly on Facebook-live or register for the webinar
12:30-12:50 Opening and welcome
12:40-13:50: Why is the conflict continuing?
- "Testimonies from the territories." Jani Silva, spokes person of the organization "La Perla de Amazonas".
- "The students take the floor" ACEU (University Students Association)"What's happening in the cities?" Juan Carlos Lozada. Congressman for the Liberal Party.
- "An analysis of the situation in Colombia" Ariel Ávila, professor, journalist, author.
Break 5 minutes.
Presentation: "The situation in Colombia from an international perspective". Christian Visnes, Norwegian Church Aid.
14:50-15:15 Environment, development models and peace
Moderator: Borghild Tønnessen-Krokan - Senior Advisor Peru and Colombia, Rainforest Foundation Norway
Environment: Rodrigo Botero - The foundation Conservación y Desarrollo.
Development from below: Yohana Castaño - Vicepresident CNA (Colombian farmers organitation).
The Human Rights Crisis: Camilo Gonzáles Pozo - President Indepaz.
15:30-16:45 What's happening to peace in Colombia?
Moderator: Beate Thorensen - Senior advisor Norwegian People's Aid
- Jon Otto Brødholt. Special Representative to the Colombian peace process, Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Martha Rubiano Skretteberg, Secretary General of CARITAS Norway
- Jan Egeland, Secretary General of the Norwegian Refugee Council
- Mariano Aguirre, member of Chatham House (London) and Fundación Friedrich Ebert (Bogotá).
16:45-17:00: Concluding remarks.