Duration: 3 years with possibility of extension
Startup: Early 2020
Duty station: Bogota, Colombia. Travel inside the country and follow-up of grants/grantees will be an important part of the work. International travels will also be required.
Deadline for applications: Tuesday 17th of September 2019, 9.00 CET
Terms of Reference
The Norwegian Human Rights Fund (NHRF) will step up its support to civil society organizations in Colombia and is seeking a dynamic, results oriented, ambitious, skilled and strategic person who can set up an office, and build a well-functioning team that handles grants and support to civil society actors in Colombia. The NHRF has over three decades of experience of working in Colombia and has developed a strong network and much experience. The Norwegian Human Rights Fund (NHRF) works to protect and promote human rights internationally through direct support to organizations working in the first line of defense for human rights.
The NHRF prioritizes projects where vulnerable and marginalized groups mobilize and take the lead in the struggle for their rights. In addition, the NHRF supports professional human rights actors’ work for the protection of the rights of vulnerable and marginalized individuals and groups through initiatives such as legal assistance, advocacy work, documentation, and rights education.
We support projects that work against impunity and for access to justice for victims of the armed conflict and human rights violations, both within the regular and transitional justice systems; work against discrimination and/or marginalization of vulnerable individuals and groups including access to resources and land; and support to improved working conditions and security for human rights defenders at risk.
The main objectives will be to build and expand on the work the NHRF is already doing when it comes to civil society support in Colombia, seek new opportunities and develop the work further.
The Country Director will report to the Executive Director (ED) in Oslo.
The tasks include, but are not limited to
- Lead the process of establishing a team in Colombia (initially 4-5 people) and set up an office.
- Lead the strategy process for the NHRF for its Colombia work, including fundraising and communication work in line with the NHRF overall strategies.
- Liaisons with donors, maintain relationships, create new partnerships and set clear targets for this work.
- Handle donor reporting, learning monitoring and evaluation (LME), and ensure that the NHRF work is in line with donor- and internal requirements.
- Establish strong routines and follow-up procedures when it comes to the grant management, follow-up of the grantees, partners and calls for proposals.
- Work dynamically with the grantees, and develop work, capacity building and follow-up based on needs and the situation on the ground.
- Conduct risk assessments and risk reduction measures for the NHRF and its grantees.
Official qualifications (must have)
- Master’s degree in social science, law, economics, or relevant field (can be compensated with long relevant leadership experience in funds mechanism).
- Fluent in Spanish and Norwegian (might also be another Scandinavian language), good level of English needed.
- Proven leadership experience, including leading a team/staff (min. 3-5 years)
- Experience in working with civil society, grant making and funding mechanisms to civil society, including capacity building and networking.
- Experience in handling donors and funds including from the Norwegian/Nordic governments.
- Experience from Colombia, and possibly the region, when it comes to civil society and human rights defense/work.
- Results-oriented and experience with Learning, monitoring and evaluation (LME) processes, previous work with Theories of Change is an advantage.
We are seeking a person who has the following personal qualifications
- Able to do long- term planning, on financial, administration and programmatic work.
- Experience of establishing routines and being structural; able to create a sound working environment based on a high standard for the team, the grant management and the general work.
- An outgoing and self-going person who can represent and interact with all the stakeholders the NHRF works with, including civil society organizations, grassroots groups and social movements, diplomatic missions, donors, UN agencies, human rights groups and other partners in Colombia and abroad.
- Someone who can be a part of developing the NHRF’s overall work and strategies, with the NHRF operation and office hub in Colombia as a priority.
- A people’s person who can build a stable team and that will be a team player with the rest of the NHRF team, including outside the Colombia office.
Please send your CV and a letter that highlights your motivation and your qualifications for this position (not more than 2 pages) to email@example.com by September 17th. If you have any questions, please call Executive Director Sandra Petersen: 0047 41445324 or send an e-mail to the address above. For more information on our work: www.nhrf.no