Geographical location: Indonesia, Mexico and Thailand
Thematic area and target groups: Human rights, land rights, environmental rights, natural resources, work against discrimination, access to justice
Amount: 15-25,000 USD (max. 25,000 USD)
Project timeline: one year (12 months)
Expected project start: September 2019
Deadline concept note: June 2, 2019
About the NHRF
The Norwegian Human Rights Fund (NHRF) works to protect and promote human rights internationally through direct support to organisations working in the first line of defence for human rights. The NHRF aims to be a flexible, courageous and global actor that provides direct support to local organisations working for the rights of vulnerable and marginalised individuals and groups
About the call for proposal
The NRHF seeks to increase our support to human rights organisations working with land rights and environmental rights, including natural resources. We see this work as essential for the realization of the sustainable development goals (SDGs) within 2030, and that local human rights organisations and human rights defenders are key actors in this work. The projects should focus on communities that are working on ensuring and/or accessing their rights in relation to issues concerning land rights, environmental rights and/or rights related to natural resources.
Please visit the NHRF’s website for more information.
How to apply
Organisations working within the thematic area are invited to complete the eligibility quiz and submit a short (strict one-page limit) concept note that summarizes the following:
- The organisation’s experience working in the field of human rights related to land, environment and natural resources. Describe all links/connections to the target group(s).
- A clear strategy that leads to the improvement in rights realization/respect for the human rights of the target group(s). The strategy should have a one-year outlook but should also include a brief narrative on a longer-term perspective (up to 3 years).
- The methodology that will be used to implement the project.
- A description of how the grant will help strengthen the organisation implementing the project.
- The extent of female leadership/women in leadership position in the organization.
- An overview of a one-year budget (can be included on an additional page).
- Please specify the amount for the 2018 annual organisational budget in a separate line at the top of the budget
- A brief risk assessment and security strategy (one paragraph only)
Organisations that meet the following criteria will be prioritized
- Organisation located and working in Indonesia, Mexico or Thailand
- Organisations with an annual budget under 150,000 USD
- Proven experience of working on human rights and land, environment and/or natural resources
- A strategic and targeted approach on structural human rights change and for access to justice for vulnerable groups affected by human rights violations related to land, environment and/or natural resources.
- Organisations with strong female leadership (e.g. organisations led by women and/or organisations with women in leadership (not only administrative) positions
- Organisations that are led by the target group or that have a strong link to the community and have special competence in the thematic area of focus
- Organisations that adapt an inclusive approach, for example for gender, minorities and people with disabilities
- Organisations using methods that involve advocacy, targeted awareness raising, legal empowerment, and/or activism in marginalised communities.
Proposed projects are not limited to these methods, but must include one or more of these methods for the strategic implementation of the project
The call for proposals will be open until the deadline of June 2, 2019, and the review process will begin immediately after deadline. Proposals submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Proposals that do not meet all the listed criteria will not be considered. The NHRF is a small organisation with limited administrative capacity to respond to the expected volume of received proposals, therefore organisations that have not been selected to move forward in the application process will not be contacted. Please do not contact the NHRF regarding the status of your proposal as you will not receive a response.
Please register and start the application at the NHRF grant portal.
NHRF support to land and environmental rights
Watch this short video of women human rights defenders standing up for land and natural resources in Veracruz, Mexico.
Feil: Ukjent youtube URL: